Privacy Notice for users of the website
The English language version of www.engagingscience.eu is managed by Sheffield Hallam University.
From 25 May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) replaced the Data Protection Act and governs the way that organisations use personal data. Personal data is information relating to an identifiable living individual.
Transparency is a key element of the GDPR and this Privacy Notice is designed to inform you:
- how and why the we use your personal data,
- what your rights are under GDPR, and,
- how to contact us so that you can exercise those rights.
Data Subject Rights
One of the aims of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is to empower individuals and give them control over their personal data.
The GDPR gives you the following rights:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erase
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
For more information about these rights please see https://www.shu.ac.uk/about-this-website/privacy-policy/data-subject-rights and the Contact Us section at the end of this Privacy Notice.
Why are we processing your personal data?
There are a number of legitimate business purposes for which we process your data
- Browsing our website and monitoring the usage of our website – Data may be collected as you browse our website to improve functionality and your experience.
- Process feedback on our services – If you contact us by email or through a web page to request information, report a problem, make a complaint or provide feedback on our services we will use the information you provide to respond to your message, to address the issue you have raised, and to make improvements to our services. We do not use this information for other purposes.
Which Personal Data do we Collect and Use?
In order to provide our services we need to collect and use your personal data.
Below is a list of what this may include:
* Denotes information which may contain data classified as sensitive personal data/special categories of personal data under the GDPR and as such is subject to a greater level of control and protection.
^ Denotes information which you provide on a voluntary basis or where you are given the option of “prefer not to say” or “information refused”.
^Details of our correspondence with you, which includes any information you choose to provide to assist us with your request
Who do we share your data with?
You should be aware that in order to provide our services we may need to share your personal data within the organisation or outside Sheffield Hallam University. The privacy of your personal data is paramount and will not be disclosed unless there is a justified by law purpose for doing so. The University NEVER sells personal data to third parties.
In any case, personal data will be processed by the ENGAGE project team in compliance with GDPR 2016/679.
Your data may be shared with:
- Immediate ENGAGE project team who are authorised to work on the ENGAGE website and access the information. This may include staff at Sheffield Hallam University and collaborators at other partner organisations authorised to work on the project as follows:
The University takes a robust approach to protecting the information it holds. This includes the installation and use of technical measures including firewalls and intrusion detection and prevention tools on the University network and segregation of different types of device; the use of tools on University computers to detect and remove malicious software and regular assessment of the technical security of University systems. University staff monitor systems and respond to suspicious activity. The University has Cyber Essentials certification.
Alongside these technical measures there are comprehensive and effective policies and processes in place to ensure that users and administrators of University information are aware of their obligations and responsibilities for the data they have access to. By default, people are only granted access to the information they require to perform their duties. Training is provided to new staff joining the University and existing staff have training and expert advice available if needed.
Your personal data will be retained for six months after your enquiry has been resolved.
Sheffield Hallam University no longer retains the personal data supplied by users who registered on the website during the lifetime of the ENGAGE project (2014-2017).
The ENGAGE project team based at Sheffield Hallam University can be contacted at SIOECDARE@shu.ac.uk
- If you would like to request copies of your personal data held by Sheffield Hallam University (a subject access request) [https://www.shu.ac.uk/about-this-website/privacy-policy/data-subject-rights/subject-access-request
- If you would like to exercise your other rights (e.g. to have inaccurate data rectified, to restrict or object to processing) please contact our Data Protection Officer.
You should also contact the Data Protection Officer if:
- you have a query about how your data is used by the University
- you would like to report a data security breach (e.g. if you think your personal data has been lost or disclosed inappropriately)
- you would like to complain about how the University has used your personal data
Data Protection Officer
Telephone: 0114 225 5555
Further Information and Support
Please see more information about how the University uses personal data here: https://www.shu.ac.uk/about-this-website/freedom-of-information
The Information Commissioner is the regulator for GDPR. The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has a website with information and guidance for members of the public:
The Information Commissioner’s Office operates a telephone helpline, live chat facility and email enquiry service. You can also report concerns online. For more information please see the Contact Us page of their website: